Toronto FC 3, Ottawa Fury 0 | 2019 Canadian Championship Match Recap
Toronto FC are one step closer to lifting a fourth straight Voyageurs Cup, as they defeated the Ottawa Fury, 3-0, on Wednesday night at BMO Field in the second leg of their Canadian Championship semifinal. The result gave TFC a 5-0 advantage on aggregate.
The win was practically sealed by halftime, as Toronto scored all three goals in a 25-minute span in the first half, with Nick DeLeon supplying a brace.
Toronto then made it 2-0 in the 37th minute, as Patrick Mullins found net for the second straight game. Mullins, recently acquired via trade from the Columbus Crew, tapped home after DeLeon crossed in the aftermath of a corner kick.
The Reds put the game out of reach in the 39th minute, as DeLeon slalomed through midfield and picked out the corner. His 25-yard strike gave the home side a 3-0 lead.
Ottawa, the sole USL Championship side in the competition, found their brightest moments via Christiano Francois. But the speedy Haitian forward couldn’t provide the finishing touch, as he even struck the post in the 90th minute after a run down the left.
- 14' – TOR – Nick DeLeon
- 37' – TOR – Patrick Mullins
- 39' – TOR – Nick DeLeon
- THE BIG PICTURE: Even without the likes of Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley, Alejandro Pozuelo and Omar Gonzalez, Toronto FC comprehensively took care of business. They’re now heading to their fourth straight Canadian Championship final, with the two-legged series set for Sept. 18 and 25. Ottawa had their moments, but were outclassed by Greg Vanney’s group.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It has to go to Nick DeLeon for his third goal. He skipped past several Ottawa midfielders, then picked out the corner with ease. The 29-year-old veteran made it look so easy, too.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: There’s only one choice here, and it’s Nick DeLeon. Two goals and one assist will do that for you, as he continues to take his game to another level in The Six.
- TOR: Saturday, Aug. 17 at Columbus Crew (7:30 pm ET | TSN4, MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US) | MLS
- OTT: Saturday, Aug. 17 at Loudoun United FC (7:30 pm ET | ESPN+) | USL Championship